Ship’s agency services represent a set of actions that a marine agent (in this case, our company) performs on the shipowner’s behalf.
What exactly does the agent do?
Under the shipowner’s or the charterer’s instruction an agent performs the following legal or other actions on its own behalf related to servicing of ships in the seaports water area defined in accordance with the Compulsory regulations on seaports, namely:
1. registration of the vessel’s arrival and departure;
2. organization of ship transportation in the Port water area (in accordance with the current regulatory documents in the Port);
3. payment of port charges;
4. mooring operations;
5. bunkering of the vessel with water;
6. organization of access control;
7. organization of safe berthing at sea;
8. organization of towing provision;
9. organization of removal of bilge, oil-containing, fecal waters from vessels as well as dry garbage and other wastes with subsequent disposal;
10. other services (works) related to servicing the vessel under the Agreement.
Obligations of the agent:
To protect and represent the Customer’s interests to the official port authorities and institutions.
- To provide the Customer with necessary information on the matters pertaining to the vessel’s stay in the Port, incl. rules, reports on basic established rules and customs as well as current amendments thereto.
- To perform a task assigned to him in accordance with the Customer’s instructions which have to be lawful, feasible, specific, to act in the execution of the task in good faith and in accordance with the practice of maritime agency service.
- To inform the Customer about all incidents with its vessel located in the Port, about any danger that threatens safety of the vessel, occurrence of the circumstances that prevent the Agent from proper fulfillment of his obligations.
- To collect, check and pay bills for compulsory fees, services (works) performed on behalf of the Customer, to draw up a disbursement account (attached with supporting documents for expenses and the agent’s fee) and present it to the Customer.
- To prepare monthly reports of the Agent attached with all documents confirming expenses.
- To coordinate with the Customer all additional services and applications.
As you can see, ship’s agency service is a very profitable solution for a shipowner. All concerns for the vessel’s efficient operation are assumed by the agent, and the economic benefit of the voyages only increases!